On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 05:56:31 +0900, Robert Klemme <bob.news / gmx.net> wrote:

> "Nicholas Van Weerdenburg" <vanweerd / gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:632154f705010510264aea7a10 / mail.gmail.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've written a small ruby application that uses YAML and the
> > associated hash/array Ruby structure.
> >
> > I am now looking to do some query-like actions on the basic ruby data
> > structure. I'm wondering if there are any packages of
> > query-abstractions that make sense for Ruby in a generalized sort-of
> > way. E.g. XPath and XQuery for XML, SQL for RDMS, etc.
> >
> > Currently I've written my structure-parsing code with a few of my
> > cases, and I'm starting to refactor with blocks and lambdas in order
> > to keep duplication low and offer an easily configurable higher-level
> > of abstraction. Now the code is starting to pressure me to create a
> > simple query language. Maybe I should go to a ruby db or sqlite, but I
> > expect I ultimately only need the most basic functionality.
> >
> > Any suggestions or recommendations?
>
> Another thought: maybe you can even use Ruby itself.  I mean, one can
> produce quite readable select expressions in Ruby and we have
> Enumerable#all?, #any? etc.  You might want to add some functionality for
> recursive traversal though.
>
> Kind regards
>
>     robert

I like the idea of using Ruby, and have been extending my code in that
manner.  However, XML becomes interesting soon  because of it's DOM
traversal capabilities.

I'm also wondering if I'm missing some  common Ruby/Perl/Python idiom
for handling in-memory data-structure traversal in a more abstract
way, but so far it doesn't look like it.

Does it make sense to have a general data-structure traversal/query
api in a language like Ruby?

Thanks,
Nick
--