Perhaps someone has run into this problem before me and can offer a solution.

I am attempting to use an OLE automation server through Ruby.  I am calling a function on an automation object, and that function, according to the documentation, can accept a "NULL reference" instead of an object of the desired type.  For my application, the NULL value is the correct one.  So I am making this call:

notification.Wait(nil, 10.0, nil, false, result)

By the way, the interface I am using was generated by olegen.rb; props to Masaki Suketa for this very useful utility.

Anyway, I have also tried this with a more direct call that looks like this (the comments are copied out from my code):

   notification.Wait({
                   "destinationPropObj" => nil,        # data reference; pass nil if you don't want the data
                   "timeoutInSeconds"   => 10.0,             # timeout in seconds; pass negative for infinite timeout
                   "sequenceContextObj" => nil,         # sequence context, used to improve blocking behavior for the sequence calling this function (nil if you are not calling from a sequence execution)
                   "processMsgs"        => false,            # process Windows messages while waiting?  Use true when calling from a sequence, false otherwise
                   "waitRes"            => result            # result of the Wait call
                  }
                 )

These are only two out of many ways to make this OLE method call in WIN32OLE; I have tried a few others as well.

The problem is that 'nil' is never accepted by WIN32OLE.  I always get the following error when trying to pass 'nil' for any argument:

    OLE error code:0 in <Unknown>
      <No Description>
    HRESULT error code:0x8002000f
      Parameter not optional.   from <my ruby file>

Now, I'm pretty sure at this point that the WIN32OLE library isn't even the entity creating this error, but rather the OLE functionality itself.

At any rate, I am hoping someone might have run into this problem before and be able to help me out.  I investigated it extensively over the past few days and just can't find the solution myself.

Thanks for any and all help,
--Dino

------=  Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
-=  Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/  =-