On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 04:31:41 +0900, Peter C. Verhage
<usenet2 / nospam.no-nonsense.org> wrote:

> Just thinking out loud, but wouldn't it possible to generate Ruby/DL
> code instead of Ruby C wrapper code using SWIG? This would make it a lot
> more easy to use extensions cross-platform without the need for compilation.

You might be able to get something to work for some limited cases,
where the code to be called is regular C code. I don't know how you'd
get this to work for C++ code, however (e.g. how does Ruby/DL deal
with name mangling, calling constructors and destructors, templates,
exceptions, ?)