snowzone / home.com (tony summerfelt) writes:

> this would probably be handier for newbies (AND a lot of work for the
> authors :) , but in the reference section of 'programming ruby' an
> indication of 'compatibility'. ie. which platform a particular method is
> available on.
>
> it would be great for ensuring a cross platform program.

We actually had that in preliminary versions, but took it out because
it became incredibly difficult to verify. There are the Unix flavors,
Windows native, cygwin, mingw, and then potentially OS/2 and OS/X.

The support is there in the document format (it's the 4th parameter to
\begin{method} for those who're looking at the LaTeX), so if anyone
can come up with a way to work it out, we could add the information to
the printed/online book.

FWIW, I know curses runs under the cygwin version of Ruby on Windows
(such as the InstallShield one). Not sure about the others.

Dave