On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 05:59:26 +0900, MiG <mig / 1984.cz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a czech Ruby fan, now looking for a new job.. It's not possible to
> find any ruby project here. Does anyone know about something like "Ruby
> job announcement"?

Given that Ruby is nowhere near as mainstream as Java or Perl or even
Python, it is very rare to see a project that specifically would use
Ruby. Often, what I find myself doing is convincing potential clients
of the merits of Ruby for a particular project, and well, most of them
are smart enough to remember that they hired our team for our
technical expertise, and that they shouldn't be meddling too much in
technical matters like choice of implementation language.

It would be better to be able dictate the language of an upcoming
project yourself, rather than be committed to some language that is
suboptimal for the task. Even Ruby is not the right language for doing
everything.

> I think more people are in the same situation - want to programm in Ruby
> but aren't able to get a correspondent job. I think it's possible to
> work over countries nowadays. Eight work hours & one company in one
> bilding is the past.

As are walls that go all the way to the ceiling. ;)

Most jobs for programmers are on a per-project basis these days, and
the only reason that companies that do IT services even still exist is
to provide some framework. Most programmers would not have the ability
to market themselves and their skills out of a cardboard box, and
would have little contact with the brick and mortar businesses that
might need their services.