Here's another tip that worked for me even though I am on a severely
locked down Windows 2000 box where I cannot set any Windows
environment variables such as HTTP_PROXY.  This line may be entered at
a command prompt:

"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails -p http://proxy:80

My ruby version using the One Click Installer
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

Hope this helps someone.  Peace
Craig