On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 07:02:10 +0900, Jim Weirich <jim / weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler said:
> > Is this not perhaps something that could be better handled by
> > in-lining the testing as I am doing in the rakefiles on my projects
> > now?
> Generally I try to run the tests with as little extra software loaded as
> possible, particularly when I test Rake itself.  I might be using my
> installed version of Rake to run tests on a developement version of Rake.
> Under that scenario, the tests are better run out of process.

> But in-process tests would probably be fine for most projects, especially
> since the rake process itself is rather short-lived.  Do you find they run
> faster in-process?  if there is interest, providing an in-process Rake
> test task might be worthwhile.

> Thanks for reminding me of this option, I had forgotten about the code you
> sent me.

I don't know if it's faster or not. I just know that Rake doesn't do
quite as well on a number of things with Windows as I would like, and
I've had to tweak a lot of things; this testing mechanism is because
the initial test task did not work for me on Windows; since then, I
have simply continued to use what I have because I already have to
load my code for what I do (I always get the version number of the
software from the software itself).

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com