Chad Fowler wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4
>
> Hello and Happy New Year!  We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
> RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
> published.  Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
> will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
> ruby package distribution.
>
> We have just released RubyGems 0.8.4. 0.8.4 is a small release, but it
> fixes some fairly major installation issues (thanks Ryan Davis) and
> addresses some speed issues with requires (thanks Eric Hodel, Gavin
> Sinclair, and Jim Weirich).

Many thanks!!!

Out of curiosity, how much of RubyGems is leveraging existing existing
work in projects such as Perl's CPAN, Gentoo's Portage, FreeBSD's ports,
NetBSD's pkgsrc, Debian's apt-get, etc...?

Maybe some of the remaining work can leverage work already
completed/tested in other projects.  Particularly more complex issues
related to caching, etc.