You might want to try using SNMP to read the configuration information.
  It may save you writing parsing code for the Telnet output.

You can get SNMP for Ruby from here:

http://snmplib.rubyforge.org/

The list of supported MIBs for the Catalyst 2900XL is available by
anonymous FTP:

ftp ftp.cisco.com
cd /pub/mibs/supportlists/wsc2900xl

Cheers,