> I am interested in this subject and have looked at scgi
> <http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/scgi/> and mod_webware
> <http://www.webwareforpython.org/Webware/WebKit/Docs/InstallGuide.html#mod-webkit>.
> I have just been exploring these because I would like to have an
> external ruby server as well. I would be interested in implementing one
> of these for Ruby. I assume that in either case you could use the
> existing Apache module and just implement the app server code in Ruby/C.
> Another option (I think) is building drb module for Apache that would
> communicate with a ruby server via drb. Maybe you could even use
> mod_ruby to do the drb communication. The mod_ruby script would be
> relatively static. All application changes would be done on the ruby app
> server. If you are interested in working on any of these (or something
> similar) let me know. I'd like to build it this month. However I am new
> to Ruby so am a little slow at it now - still spending a lot of time in
> the reference docs.

Part of my problem is that I want a semi-standard protocol, not a
webserver module: I want to be free to lose Apache if I so desire. (And
I do; I'm an avid lighttpd user)

In that respect, SCGI could be a good option. However, SCGI looks like
FastCGI dumbed down a lot. That's not all bad, but it's still inheriting
a ton of cruft from CGI[1], and is even less standard than FCGI.

Ari

[1] Cruft like all-caps versions of HTTP headers, and various mangling
of important request data.