Hello Richard,

RD> Lothar Scholz wrote:

>> There are two companies working at it at the moment.
>> There is no open-source project now.
>>
RD> What about FreeRIDE, Eclipse RDT or KDevelop? You may argue that Arachno is
RD> the only production ready IDE or whatever, but saying 'There is no
RD> open-source project' is misleading in my opinion. And which is the other
RD> commercial company, I've only heard about Arachno as a commercial IDE?

The question was about a smalltalk like class brower.
FreeRIDE, Eclipse RDT or KDevelop, ArachnoRuby don't have something
like this.

Yes i'm working on it for Arachno (nothing published so far), the
other is a small but well known german company who is doing this for a
very very huge german company. They haven't announced anything so you
couldn't here about it yet.

>> Ruby is not a image based language. Thats the huge difference.

RD> Yes, you're right - that is the key point. I've wondered if it would be
RD> possible to design a ruby development environment where the program was
RD> 'always running', and you replaced methods using a 'module_eval' call after
RD> the IDE did the syntax checking on a newly changed method. Then the IDE
RD> would need to keep the ruby sources sync'd as you changed them during
RD> runtime. And perhaps keep a version history of changed methods so you could
RD> revert and so on.

Sure this is possible but you would run into many problems when you
use existing runtime libraries. Almost all of them are not useable in
this way and you see it in web environments like rails (or
webware/zope for python).

But we discussed this many times in the past.