Lothar Scholz wrote:

> There are two companies working at it at the moment.
> There is no open-source project now.

What about FreeRIDE, Eclipse RDT or KDevelop? You may argue that Arachno is
the only production ready IDE or whatever, but saying 'There is no
open-source project' is misleading in my opinion. And which is the other
commercial company, I've only heard about Arachno as a commercial IDE?

I'm working on the combination of the QtRuby/Korundum bindings with
integrated Qt Designer support (for GUI design) and graphic source code
debugger for the KDevelop IDE. It is certainly a complete graphic RAD
environment for ruby. The debugger was based on code for a gdb front end,
but it also adds a Qt 'Object Inspector' that has capabilities similar to
this C++ product:

http://doc.trolltech.com/solutions/qtobjectinspector/overview.html

I'm mainly going after Qt/KDE programmers wanting a better language than C++
for developing their applications, and who are new to ruby, rather than
existing rubyists or smalltalkers, and so the fact the development
environment looks like an existing C++ one is a plus.

Because I'm working on both the bindings and the development environment
I've been able to integrate them to a greater extent than otherwise would
be possible. For instance, a variable of type Qt::Color appears as a color
in the KDevelop debugger Qt::Object property inspector.

You can get the current sources from the kdebindings and kdevelop modules -
they should both build against any KDE version from KDE 3.1 to 3.4. I hope
to do a new release and put it on the Korundum RubyForge site shortly to
make it easier for people to try out.

Lothar Scholz wrote:

> Ruby is not a image based language. Thats the huge difference.

Yes, you're right - that is the key point. I've wondered if it would be
possible to design a ruby development environment where the program was
'always running', and you replaced methods using a 'module_eval' call after
the IDE did the syntax checking on a newly changed method. Then the IDE
would need to keep the ruby sources sync'd as you changed them during
runtime. And perhaps keep a version history of changed methods so you could
revert and so on.

-- Richard