Hello ,

n> Hi there,

n> I've been getting up to speed with Ruby in the hollidays. Tempted by the
n>   combination of the Pickaxe 2nd ed, Gems and Rails, I've been using
n> Emacs/iruby like I would use Python (ipython) or Common Lisp (SLIME).

n> Though that's a proven and winning combo, I wonder whether there are any
n> attempts at creating more smalltalk-like environments like Squeak or
n> VisualWorks, for Ruby. They offer an advanced graphical environment

Ruby is not a image based language. Thats the huge difference.

n> ("IDE" doesn't do it justice). Just the classbrowser of smalltalk alone
n> is worth a virtual homocide.

There are two companies working at it at the moment.
There is no open-source project now.

n> Because Ruby is often compared with smalltalk and because of its dynamic
n> nature it seems to be an ideal language for these type of applications.
n> Haven't found any though: Ruby seems still to be firmly rooted in the
n> Unix/text/console  world.