On Dec 30, 2004, at 3:21 AM, Bil Kleb wrote:

> I just read Mike Clark's blog entry,
>
>   http://www.clarkware.com/cgi/blosxom/2004/12/29#pyUnitPerf
>
> about a port of JUnitPerf to Python.  (JUnitPerf adds
> two types of performance tests to JUnit: imposing a limit
> to the time it takes to run a test and simulating concurrent
> user loads and so forth.)
>
> Is there a similar capability for Ruby?

I'm not aware of a Ruby port of JUnitPerf.  I suspect it would be quite
easy and take far less code than the Java version.

Given such a tool, I wonder if there would be interest in a performance
test suite for a Rails installation.  It seems folks often ask about
Rails performance and scalability, and rather than guess and speculate,
a test suite would simply measure.  Perhaps there's an example Rails
application that demonstrates common use cases, and performance numbers
for various configurations (e.g., Fast CGI, mod ruby) could be posted.
As new versions of Rails become available, the test suite is re-run and
the new numbers are posted.

One could adapt the performance test suite for a custom application
and, for example, fiddle with the number of concurrent users to help
plan for capacity.

Anyway, just a random thought.  It may be an interesting way to promote
Rails goodness from another angle: measure, don't guess.

Mike