On Monday 12 March 2001 03:42, Tammo Freese wrote:
> At 16:58 10.03.01 +0900, Samantha Atkins wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I saw some references that looked sort of like Java on Ruby or vice
> >versa in the various Ruby links but all the links to this (whatever it
> >was) are broken in all pages I find them in.  What is the real story on
> >Java<->Ruby interaction and producing a Ruby that compiles to JVM
> >byte-codes and can read and manipulate Java objects?
>
> As far as I know, there is no such thing. The Java Ruby Interface
> which is available at ftp://ftp.netlab.co.jp/pub/lang/ruby/contrib/
> allows to use java classes in your Ruby code - well, if it
> would compile . . .

Yeah, that's right; I just opened up the package last night. Now, this could
be useful, but I don't think that is what Samantha is aiming for. I think
she's looking for the opposite, in fact: define in Ruby, run in Java?

> BTW, has anyone got this running?

Haven't tried. Version I have must be old code, anyway, as it references Ruby
version 1.1!

> >For one thing, I would
> >use it exclusively if it were present and stable, from testing and
> >interactively implementing Java stuff (which most of my paying gigs
> >currently require).
>
> For this, have you already tried BeanShell or Interactive Java?

Yes, yes. But I think she still would _prefer_ Ruby. Another advantage of
prototyping in Ruby is that you can have multiple targets: Ruby->Java,
Ruby->C, etc.

Regards,

Kent Starr
elderburn / mindspring.com