Alexander Kellett wrote:

> actually i find it ironic that u find irony in something
> that is so obviously non ironic! :P. i would have say that
> in this case hyping a language is the evil of which is spoken
> and the email from neil the appropriate counter action.
>
> regards
> Alex

:) This thread is full of irony--if it can be called that--when we see
the definition of the word 'hype'.

For most, 'hype' means "excessive publicity", "exaggerated/extravagant
claims" or "deliberately misleading".

By contrast, we were speaking of making a ruby more popular by taking
specific steps that don't involve hype: (i) having a more
formal/documented release process (ii) a bug tracking system and (iii)
having documentation on the primary website instead of relying on 3rd
parties.  And (ii) is already done--hosted on Rubyforge.

Your phrase 'the evil of which is spoken' can be viewed by some as
'exaggerated/extravagant claims', which fits the definition of 'hype' so
there's irony for ya. :)

Let us leave the 'hyping' to others.  I'm sure there are plenty of
folks who can easily point to more irony (morony) or even stupidity in
my response. But I hope the energy will be channelled into making (i)
and (iii) happen instead.