On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 02:46:53 +0900, gabriele renzi
<rff_rff / remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> Premshree Pillai ha scritto:
> > Measuring a language's performance is a difficult task. ML posts and suchlike.
> >
> > TIOBE software maintains a language popularity index at
> > http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm Language popularity indices are not
> > accurate, but they give an idea.
>
> The tiobe index system is (in my little worth opinion) strange in many
> ways, or I just never understood it (wich is quite possible).
> Could someone explain me the query they are using? what does:
>   +"<language> programming" -tv

No idea what this "-tv" option is. I think I should ask the TIOBE
folks. IAC, the Tiobe index might seem strange and all, but don't you
think in most cases it seems to depict things correctly.

Well, at least it's true in the case of Java. :)

> really mean?
>

> > For a recent conf, I needed data on Ruby's growth. Tiobe provided me
> > with some data. You can see a graph of Ruby's growth here:
> > http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree/44232.html
> >

> You just made recall this thread about ruby community growth, where you
> can find reference to some google stats on "programming <language>" :
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/114496
>
> PS
> do I spamm^Whinted about ruby on your blog long time ago? :)

Didn't get ya. Explain?

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree