Hi,

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:02:21 +0900, Darren Crotchett
<rubylang / usmstudent.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a feel for the philosophical differences between Smalltalk,
> Ruby and Python.  I realize that many of the technical differences are only
> going to come from hands on experience.  And, I'm sure they all have their
> good and bad points.  I'm just trying to get some idea of why some people
> choose one of these languages over the other.

At least the word philosophy matches with Ruby. Ruby is that language
that when we don't use it, we miss it so hard. Don't forget the
supporting libraries. Ruby has some very nice libraries. Nice in the
sense that they work, they are licensed under the Ruby license, which
is a nice custom one, and Ruby as a C framework provides some nice
constructions for the C libraries, and finally, Ruby as a language
supports any library beautifully, shortly and powerfully.

The price for all the dynamic power of Ruby is that it's harder to
enable it with some tools (on the other hand, some other tools are
easier to build.) So if Ruby does not suit the project, we have to
look at other language to accomplish it. Or maybe try to bend the
project over to Ruby. :-)

That's it. Enough of blah blah blah. :)

BTW, Python sucks. :)

Cheers,