I think Ruby's popularity is growing, but I can't help but wonder what
we can do to accelerate its adoption.

I think we've all seen superior technologies go extinct due to bad
marketing/perception--sadly, perception can be more important than
reality at times.

I think at a minimum, we need these:

1. a more formal release process--this could be as simple as documenting
what level of testing goes into changes to the stable vs dev branches
before they are committed to CVS.

2. a bug tracking system where we can report and view bugs--bugzilla is
overkill, maybe something simpler like trac should be considered.

3. last but not least, online docs on Ruby's primary website (not
3rd-party websites) that is similar to those provided by PostgreSQL and
Python. Maybe we can volunteer to create 'official' ruby docs to be
hosted on ruby's primary website.  Preferably using a popular
documentation format that does not use frames like these:

http://python.org/doc/2.4/
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/index.html

When ruby's primary website lists ruby 1.4.6 docs for download and says
ruby 1.6 docs are not yet ready (as of Dec 28, 2004), it can give the
wrong impression about Ruby's current pace of activity:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020107.html

This is particularly sad and misleading because matz, nobu, shugo and
many others are very actively working on improving ruby daily (we can
see this in the daily cvs commits).  And it doesn't provide any clues to
newcomers/evaluators about the vibrant ruby community that is
frantically creating new ruby projects to rubyforge.

Anyone else think these few changes can make a big difference in how
ruby is perceived, and consequently chosen over other languages?