On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, David S. wrote:

> "Some potential for bloat"?

Remind me to never leave off <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags again. The
bloat potential is of course huge since this same Bundle technology is
also being used for applications. Just think of how much space Office 95,
97, 2000, and XP could take up as side by side installations...

> If you're going to be using this facility on OS X, you'll be glad disk
> space is relatively cheap these days.

Luckily it is (well, if one doesn't by hardware from Apple).

[administrative nightmare of multiple versioning snipped]

There are a few things that should help with the administrative side: the
Framework portion is largely automatic (the "lazy linking" functionality
has the version support built in), only one Minor (no interface changes)
version per Major version is allowed, and Bundles can be moved as units
which means that replicating one version to multiple desktops isn't the
horror it might otherwise be. Heck if Apple pulls it off they may prevent
enough "DLL Hell" calls to make up for the confusion it'll engender in
front line tech support grunts.

> So instead of maintaining some discipline in your libraries and file
> systems, you throw up your hands and say "What the hell, I'll just keep
> *everything* around!"  Try this, and believe me, you'll find the cure
> is worse than the disease.

That's why I want it on Linux. I want to be able to _choose_ to keep
multiple library versions around and have my apps find them at run time
for those cases when compatibility libs don't cut it and I have to run
conflicting apps. There are multiple applications I can't install at this
moment because of library conflicts, but two versions each of 3 or 4
libraries would solve that. Not being able to run something I want because
of another app I need is IMHO a worse disease than dealing with the extra
bloat and abstraction. The whole-hog "Version Everything"  approach Apple
is taking may end up being a nightmare, but the specific capability used
sparingly isn't innately bad.

Jonathan Conway