Kaspar Schiess wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>

>>that works under native mswin323232 or at least with Cygwin X windows
>>server?  ImageMagick so far won't work either in native windows or
>>Cygwin. Is there any other alternative? Thanks
>

> Hello Sarah,
>
> I would like to get back on this, since I cannot agree with what you say.
> ImageMagick works very well as far as its intended purpose goes on win32
> platforms, I use it frequently. It just can't #display images. This is
> now a documented limitation.
>
> There are a number of ways of achieving that goal, like using the Fox GUI
> toolkit for example (comes with the default installer); look at the
> examples, there's a nice image browser/display application. I am sure
> every GUI toolkit has that feature, since that is part of the intended
> purpose of such a toolkit.
>
> There are other ways of displaying images, like on a web page (generating
> the image on the fly and streaming it to the client) or by remote
> controlling an image display application.
>
> All of this depends on what you want to do. Manipulating images ? RMagick
> will probably do it. Displaying images ? Another library will do that.
> Why don't you tell us what you intend to do ? That way our suggestions
> can become more targetted.
>
> yours truly,
> kaspar

Thanks Kaspar. This is what I have. I have thousands of pictures that I
took over time using digital cameras as well as old photos that I
scanned. I'd like to create an application that I can use it using the
web as well as on the native environment(Windows, Linux, Solaris) for
cataloging.

So, with the above requirements, I probably need some kind of
graphics/image manipulation software(gd,ImageMagick, FOX,etc), a
database(I'm still trying to figure out what is the best SQL database I
should use - MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLLite, etc), a robust scripting
language(a choice between Ruby or PHP and correct me if I'm wrong, it is
also depend on what database I chose?), and Apache2, and it should work
under Windows, Linux, and Solaris.

I've use PHP a while ago, but I'm no expert. And recently, I've learn a
bit about Ruby and very interested learning more about it.

Any suggestion.

Thanks again.

Sarah