"Pe, Botp" <botp / delmonte-phil.com> writes:

> Mikael Brockman [mailto:mikael / phubuh.org] wrote:
>
> //Straying further off-topic, I switched to Dvorak when I got
> //it, a couple off weeks ago.  Those were the most
>
> may I ask,
> how many weeks did it take for you to switch/adjust to dvorak typing?

Two or three.  I went cold turkey -- didn't let myself switch back.  I'm
not great at it yet, though.  I type at about 5 correct keys a second,
but I make some mistakes.  I'm bad at the parens and braces and stuff,
because I haven't been able to write any code.  Hanging out on IRC is
really good practice.  I do a round of dvorak7min every night, too.
(http://www.linalco.com/ragnar/dvorak7min-1.6.1.tar.gz)

> if you switch back to qwerty, do you get problems? or does the mind+hand
> adjust automatically as if riding a bike? :-) I'm asking since I may use a
> dvorak keyb at home will qwerty at the office/friends/cafes...
> thanks for info.

I haven't tried in a while.  Let's see...  OK, that's weird.  Looking at
the keyboard, I can type fluently.  Not by searching after the keys --
my fingers know where they are.  But when I look up, I turn to Dvorak
mode automatically, and I get confused.  I've heard that you get good at
switching between them, though.

By the way, it's easy to change the layout on most systems.