Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Thanks for the info Tim. Just for curiosity, instead of using gem, can
> you just compile the distribution using Cygwin X11 libraries?

I have (but not in a while)  successfully installed RMagick on Cygwin by
building ImageMagick from source, followed by building RMagick from source.
ImageMagick also uses a number of dependent libraries (which ones depend
largely on what image formats you want to support). The last I heard Cygwin
had an easy-to-install X package, too.

The only recommendation I have is that you don't try to install RMagick over
the ImageMagick binary package for Cygwin. You'll only make yourself crazy
trying to make it work.

Perhaps somebody who's installed RMagick on Cygwin recently will speak up.