Thursday wrote:
> I'd do a benchmark myself except I don't have a pentium4 yet (still
> shopping around).
>
> Is there is a worthwhile performance gain by using the Ruby compiled for
> pentium4 vs a prebuilt i386 package?

It's always risky to speculate about performance, but I would not expect
a signficant difference. In order to see such a difference, the compiled
Ruby interpreter would have to make use of P4-specific instructions,
your own applications would have to spend the majority of their time
there, and those P4-specific instructions would have to be a *lot*
faster than their 386 equivalents. Only the last condition seems likely
at all to me.

> I'm wondering how much difference it would make on a pentium4-based
> server that uses mod_ruby and/or fastcgi.

Most real-world applications spend more time IO-bound than CPU-bound. A
P4 waits faster than a 386, but it won't do you any good :-).

Steve