Hi --

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, James Britt wrote:

> David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
>> As also, the easiest way to upgrade the software is: "gem update"
>

> Running gem update will update *all* installed gems.
>
> If any gem (not just a rails gem) has an API change, then you'll have to go
> change your code to either use the new API or to request a specific gem
> version.  Probably better to update gems on purpose, when you have some idea
> what to expect, rather than doing a bulk update on every gem just to get a
> few specific items.
>
> Running
>  gem install rails
>
> should update all rails-related gems without affecting any other gems, which
> is a safer, more responsible, suggestion on how to upgrade rails.

I believe David meant it as in: "Use the 'gem update' command (which
in this case, since you're updating Rails, would take the argument
'rails')", just as one might say, "Use the 'ruby' command to run a
Ruby script".

It's true wording of this kind is slightly ambiguous, but that's all.
It's not the first time something has had to be clarified a bit.  I'd
like to nip in the bud the implication that David was trying to steer
people toward updating all their gems at once, which he wasn't and
which attributes to him either ignorance of gems or some kind of
bizarre pranksterism -- wrongly, in either case.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net