jjthrash / pobox.com wrote:
> > >Ever wonder why the Perl world doesn't brag about the
> > >GUI equivalent of DBI?

Because the CGI equivs have been accessed by everybody at least once ??

Ben (hope I didnt cut too much :):

> > Why isn't there a way to take something that was written
> > as a GUI application, flip a flag, and have...
               ... batch-mode?

> > I don't care what your graphics look like  ...
         ... There are no humans to care, and I want to be able
             to handle that case.

I think you have been over-influnced by Ray Bradbury ( am I right ??)

Bryn Keller:
> Ben's got a great suggestion...    The difficulty goes way up if
> you want to support internationalization, accessibility, or even drawing.

By itself, internationalization provides both challanges, rendering requires
sophisticated s/w _and_ expensive h/w.  Before you remind me about linux and my
very own $100 appliance (thinman)... remember that the average human wage,
globally, is around 300/yr $US.  And the cheap computer is only half the
problem, corrupt telecommunications operations are basically preventing global
integration, preserving economic deprevation, and wrecking the tech economy.

Internationalization implies character based apps until the global economy can
afford SVGA.  Quaterdeck's long dead DESQView comes to mind as an opensource
recompile target for linux.

Another challange is the object model that coordiates stuff like drag and drop
between apps.  Like Ben I work entirely behind the scenes, and in systems
operations, concepts like CORBA (GTk object model) had been nipped in the bud
years ago.  Only KSH and C code have survived ten years of openness.  BTW, we
also have DT-KSH and KSH93 is opensource, but not quite GPL.

> If people think this all the way through and still decide to do it, and do
> it well, Ruby could benefit greatly.

No kidding, the whole world would benefit !!

John

=====
John van Vlaanderen