"Unfortunately my lack of knowledge in genetic"

Unfortunately I misread this as "my lack of knowledge is genetic", but
I am running on a caffeine shortage :)

I don't have time to work with your code right now, but generally
speaking throwing some classes and object methods in there would
improve the readability quite a bit -- I do understand you were trying
a more-or-less direct port.

I've frequently looked at Perl code on developerworks and thought it
could be improved significantly with better modularity.   Developer
works does not do a good job of technical editing, IMHO, so they turn
into a bit of a "submit article, get $$$" farm.    You might want to
search perlmonks.org for better Perl examples, or you could look at
some of the genetic algorithm stuff already on CPAN.