Welcome, Nick !

--- Nick <devel / nicreations.com> wrote:

> So, having subscribed recently to the ruby-talk
> mailing list, I've
> noticed that wxruby doesn't seem to have the
> "respect" of other GUI
> libraries.

And that will change, now that you are here ;-)

Seriously, having one of the core developers on this
ML helps a lot ... I can vouche for that based on my
experience with FxRuby. Lyle Johnson's stupendous
presence here increases the comfort level by two
orders of magnitude.

> I know GUI-library preference is a holy
> war almost up there
> with vi versus emacs, but since I'm a wxruby
> developer, I'd like to know
> what people "don't" like about wxruby. Otherwise,
> how else do we improve?

Now, that I have written a full blown (but tiny)
commercial app in wxRuby, I can say that one area
which we (almost always) can improve upon is
documentation and sample code. I will gladly
contribute on both fronts.

> Browsing online, I've found a few complaints:
>
> Difficulty in getting it installed -  Daniel
> Sheppard,
> http://www.jroller.com/page/soxbox/

This situation has improved a lot. Although, IMO, at
least on the Windows platform, I would like for it to
be optionally installed. I am aware that this would
add to the girth of the one-click installer, so it
could be an issue.

> Use of ugly integer values for event handlers -
> http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~naseby/31.html

Hmmm .. that did not bother me much. Isn't it an issue
with the other GUI's too ?

> It's a good start (though I don't know what platform
> Mr. Sheppard is
> trying to install on), but any other discussion
> would be most helpful.

I must mention here that the lack of
documentation/samples has been compensated by
all the help I get on the wxRuby mailing list.

Thank you !

> Thanks,
>
> Nick

-- shanko