gabriele renzi wrote:
> Laurent Julliard ha scritto:
>
>> Version 0.9.2 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for
>> download!
>>
>> For details and downloads, go to:
>>
>>     http://freeride.rubyforge.org/
>>
>> Starting with 0.9.2 FreeRIDE uses FOX/FXRuby 1.2.x. Please note that
>> there is no backward compatibility with FOX/FXRuby 1.0.x. Beside that,
>> you'll find a number of bug fixes to enhance usability and
>> reliability. Have fun! And, as always, feedback and contributions are
>> welcome
>

> thank you, this seem a nice enhancement (at least because scrolling seem
> to work fine, finally :)
>
> Just some things I was thinking:
> - The win32 distribution has a redist/i386-linux/ directory with some
> useless stuff (I guess it is the same for the linux installer).

Yes it is. Thigs are slowly being removed as more and more things are
integrated in Ruby 1.8.x. No doubt we are a little bit behind in doing
the clean up.

> - The source parser used ATM is a pure ruby simple one. There was an
> older one based on ripper, but abandoned cause ripper was too unstable.
> Now that ripper is included again for RRB, would'nt make sense to use it
> again ? (for better/faster parsing)

Probably so. the stock ripper is no longer in use and could be
removed. The rrb_ripper (a modified version that returns positional
information about the syntactic entities) is used for code
refactoring. However code refactoring is sitll largely experimental
and I prefer to keep so simple-rough-on-the-edge syntactic parser for
the FreeRIDE source browser.

But clearly we need a single, robust, fast Ruby parser in place before
FreeRIDE 1.0

> - the lexer for Scintilla seems to be... 'pythonic'. There is no such
> thing as a non terminating string in ruby. IIRC someone was working on a
>  better ruby lexer/parser for scite. Maybe it can be used with FR too or
> are the syntax highlight rules done at the ruby level?

The Ruby lexer is more than sub-optimal... It's the least I can say.
Kaspar Shiess submitted at new lexer a while ago but it sounds like
the SciTE/Scintilla guys are slow in integrating it into the main
stream. And the FreeRIDE team is reluctant to fork its own Scintilla
library. We already have enough work on our plate and not enough
contributors.

By the way I'd like to make a call for contributors here. FreeRIDE has
now reached a point where we need more manpower to make it grow
faster. The technical foundation is stable now which makes it easier
for people to get into it and invest time and effort.

> thank again to evrybody behind this great application.

Thanks for the kind words! It helps.

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD