David G. Andersen wrote:
> A book I wish I had the time to write, but I'm swamped:
>
>   Using Ruby in Scientific Applications
>    - Numerical applications
>    - Analysis
>    - Data Acquisition
>    - Control
>    - Visualization
>    - Data archiving and retrieval
>
> I haven't had a chance to play with the acquisition and control
> aspects yet, so I don't actually know what would go into this book
> -- but I really wish I already had it on my bookshelf.

I have a proposal in to IBM for an article for developerWorks on "Data
Acqusition with Linux, Comedi, SWIG, and Ruby. They said to check back
if I hadn't heard from the Linux editor in four weeks. (Why they need
more than ten minutes to accept a free article is another question. On
the other hand, the same topic was rejected for OSCON last year, so
maybe you and I are the only ones interested....)

> Perhaps it
> would turn into a giant users manual for NArray, but I think there's
> a lot more.  I promise to buy copies and hand them to my colleagues
> and students if someone writes it. ;)

Have you seen ruby-gsl? Powerful stuff.

Steve