[zuzu <sean.zuzu / gmail.com>, 2004-12-11 21.52 CET]
> > You have Object#display. But nobody uses it...
>
> thank you as well, with an even more complete answer.
> (maybe someday ri will work by default on osx/darwin.)
>
> from a language design perspective, or perhaps this is a ruby idomatic
> / programmer organization behavior perspective, any clues as to why
> nobody uses it?
>
> is it just obscure?  not well documented in english (or at all)?  just
> not the way most programmers think due to their path-dependency (i.e.
> first language learned, and all that...)?

I can rationalize it: print is more convenient because it allows more than
one argument. Also, why an object should know anything about ports? The
object should know how to stringify itself and the port should know about
printing strings and that's all.

But probably the real reason is that I learnt print and puts first. #display
looks awkward to me. Maybe I would think different if I learned #display
first.

It would be an interesting experiment to try to program using only #display.