On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:22:38 +0900, Austin Ziegler
<halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:24 +0900, gabriele renzi
><rff_rff / remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
>> Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
>> > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
>> > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
>> > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.
>> yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
>> (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
>> the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)
>
>Right. If it's provided with standard Ruby (e.g., OpenSSL, iconv, a
>few other things), then the 1-click installer should include them.
>
>I personally don't like the idea of forcing users to use RubyGems for
>a lot of things that are currently in the installer.

personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.

i have iconv with my win32 GTK install (gaim),
i have iconv with my apache2 install
i have iconv with my php install
i have iconv with cygwin
i have iconv with DevCPP
i have iconv with subversion
i also have some inconv dlls in my windows\system32 which I dont
know what app owns.

i dont mind having the world + kitchen sink in the 1click installer
as long as I can checkbox it out and not break anything if I have
iconv installed by something else already.

where is the line? if we add openssl are we going to add mysql just
for kicks? or postgresql? how about a c compiler since some extensions
require compilation??

-- Stu  --
[FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
    http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2