Stephen Kellett wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> When my code is executing my trace_function set using set_trace_func how
> do I get the return value for a ruby return event? Say for example I had
> a function
>
>         def myFunc(arg1, arg2)
>                 result = arg1 * arg2
>         end
>
> and my trace function has been called for the return event for the
> myFunc() function. The function always returns the last data item
> evaluated, which in this case is result. Can I determine this value from
> inside the trace function? If I can how do I do so?
>
> I've spent all this afternoon trying to do this (and the other problem
> in my other question), examining the Ruby source, but can't work it out.
> Hope someone can help me, or tell me it can't be done :-(
>
> Stephen

Stephen,

This is a complete shot-in-the-dark from a noob but have you tried
adding this as the last line of the function?

return result

I heard somewhere it negatively impacts performance to add an explicit
return statement in functions.  Maybe the cause of this performace hit
will be the same thing that helps when tracing.

Good luck.