Sam Stephenson wrote:
> Hi J. D.,
>
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:27:24 +0900, J. D. <jd / nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Looks like ActiveRecord assumes that all primary keys have a sequence
>>table in postgresql.
>>
>>Am I forgetting to do something or is this a major bug in ActiveRecord?
>>

> It's not a bug, it's a constraint that Active Record puts on your
> schema so that it can guess the proper sequence name. For rationale,
> see http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/DatabaseCompatibility.
>
> Sam

I finally tracked down a bug report and a patch already in CVS.  I tried
the patch shown in ticket 230 and it fixed the problem.

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/trac.cgi/ticket/230
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/trac.cgi/ticket/117

Now I have to fix the loss of my credibility for recommending
ActiveRecord 1.1.0 as being production-ready.  Ah well, it's a good
reminder to run our *own* tests even if the product comes with
self-tests (like ruby 1.8.2 snapshots).

I'm glad ActiveRecord didn't put a contraint on the schema forcing us to
use *only* numeric, auto-incrementing primary keys.  Many of us have
existing schemas with at least one text primary key--and don't have the
luxury of modifying them.