Scott Barron wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:52:27 +0900, Raphael Bauduin
> <raphael.bauduin / be.easynet.net> wrote:
>
>>Cool to see Nitro continue to evolve. I'm especially interested in testing Og (as soon as time permits)
>>as I have the impression it is more postgresql-friendly than ActiveRecord.
>>

> Out of curiosity (and unfamiliarity with Og), in what ways do youu
> consider AR to be unfriendly to postgresql?  As someone who uses Pg
> with Rails, and has been through the Pg adapter for AR once or twice,
> I'd like to hear your thoughts about it acting in less than amicable
> manner.  Is there something Og does Pg-wise that AR cannot?  If there
> are real bugs, they can be sorted out, if they're feature requests
> then a case can be made to DHH (who has always been very receptive to
> even my griping ;).  At any rate, I'll go check out Og and see what
> that buzz is all about.

Quote from a message of David to c.l.r
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/af82a23efd10a365):

Active Record is a MySQL-driven ORM mapper. It now has adapters for
PostgreSQL, SQLite, and latest SQL Server, but they all derive from the
principles of the original MySQL driver. So in the eyes of Active
Record, databases that deviate from the MySQL-way are the ones that are
"wrong" and special programming is needed in their adapters to emulate
MySQL behavior.

I totally respect that opinion, though I disagree, expecially on
considering mysql has the "right" behaviour ;-)

I extensively use some postgresql features, and if Og developers are
focusing on Postgresql, it reasonably feels the better choice for me.
For example, David doesn't like putting behaviour in the DB because he
considers the database as being used only by Rails. (from a discussion
we had on IRC).
This is not my situation (quite the opposite), and I need triggers eg.
The possibility exists my choices, even if right in my situation, would
be considered bad considered from AR's mysql minded point of view.

Some of the conventions also don't seem to match my setup, which is an
existing web app I would rewrite with Rails.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't use AR simpler setup. In that case I just
would have some more code to avoid the primary key naming convention...

Anyway, that's the reason I'm really interested in testing Og ;-)

Raph