On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:13:08 +0900, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2004, at 07:20, Tom Copeland wrote:
>
> > ...using various session storage containers is here:
> >
> > http://elitists.net/~kain/sessions/index.html
> >
> > It's by Scott Barron of EliteJournal fame
>
> Since I see Scott reads this list,
>
> > This test was done on NetBSDs FFS which  seems to slow down greatly
> > when creating files in a directory containing  hundreds of thousands
> > of files.
>
> Are you using UFS dirhashing?
>
>  From FreeBSD's NOTES file (I believe Free got it from Net):
>
> # Directory hashing improves the speed of operations on very large
> # directories at the expense of some memory.
> options         UFS_DIRHASH

Hi,

I was just using a stock NetBSD system.  I hadn't turned on any magic
or hashing or such.  One of these days, though, I'm going to do the
PStore tests on several file systems to illustrate the impact the file
system has on using that container.  One of theses days.  I swear!
Just have to move a couple other projects out of the way, first, but a
Part II is in the works.

-Scott