On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:42:31 +0900, Brian Schr?der
<ruby / brian-schroeder.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:22:30 +0900
>

> James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 10, 2004, at 10:11 AM, Brian Schr?der wrote:
> >
> > > I expect the world to tell me what the legal moves are. Otherwise my
> > > agent
> > > would have knowledge of workings of the world that she should not have.
> >
> > I'm using a Board object, in my playing around.  My goal in writing the
> > quiz was to outlaw you teaching your program any strategy.  It must
> > learn that.
> >
> > I personally am okay with seeing the board, but you make your personal
> > challenge as hard as you like it!
> >
> > James Edward Gray II
> >

> In this case, would a minimax-a/b algorithm be teaching the ai a strategie?
> Tic-Tac-Toe is so shallow, it can be searched completely by minimax-a/b, so
> this would be a one-page solution.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Schr?der
> http://www.brian-schroeder.de/

Man, I really wish I had the energy after work to work on these
instead of playing Gran Turismo and the like :)

Minimax isn't a learning algorithm, and that's a bit too easy because
you'd be able to completely solve the game (full-depth).  Rather than
ban such things, how about making the problem harder?

Arbitrary MxN grids and a set time limit of X seconds for each move.
(Say X = 30 seconds on a 1GHz box or something).

At some level, Minimax would break down without a good fitness
algorithm attached.