On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 07:36:45PM +0900, Erik BéČfors wrote:
> There is a set of libraries named wxwindows that seams to have done a
> really good job (alot better than awt :) ).  They have worked long and
> hard in overcomming the problems in different toolkits. wxpython has
> made lot of success and there is even talk about letting it be the
> default window-system for python in the future.

I agree.  I like wxWindows a lot (even though there don't seem to
be Ruby bindings).  However, I was thinking of this in terms of
quick-hack GUIs, such as administration programs for convenience
as opposed to robustness.  The user would write his quick hack in
this "Toolkit" and it would figure out what was available and run
accordingly.

The problem (albeit minor) with wxWindows is that there's a
download involved.  Most Linux users are fine with that, but Mac
and Windows users don't usually consider downloading things so
that they can run a GUI, given that they're given perfectly good
(relatively speaking) GUIs with their OS.  If this "Toolkit"
included XWindows, Win32 and MacOS support, they wouldn't need to
worry about it, unless they wanted to.

It's probably not worth it, though.

Jimmy

--