Kevin Smith wrote:

jjthrash / pobox.com wrote:
# >Bridge patterns.  Anyhow, the basic idea is that you write a
# >generic Window class, for instance, which acts as a wrapper to
# >whatever GUI Toolkit is desired at the moment.
#
# We had a (brief) thread on exactly this topic
# maybe six months ago.
#
# I played the role of cynic, expressing concern
# that such an approach might be difficult, due to
# extremely different paradigms between some of the
# toolkits.

'extremely different paradigms' means they contain important aspects that
are 'incompatible for all practical purposes', so you would be in a
position somewhat analogous to trying to find the greatest common
denominator of two prime numbers for some small but still non-trivial
number of such aspects.

Other people in other languages have examined this issue without any
apparent success. Ever wonder why the Perl world doesn't brag about the
GUI equivalent of DBI?

From time to time, Tk versus wxWindows 'GUI wars' have broken out on
comp.lang.python. AFAIK, no one has ever figured out any way to find any
reasonably useful common ground between these 2 GUIs, wrapper-wise.

Conrad Schneiker