Hi List,

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003 11:43 AM, "Bill Kelly" <billk / cts.com> wrote:

> Ultimately Python served us well.  But there were so many
> times we'd try to figure out how to do something in Python
> that either turned out to be impossible or inelegant, that
> it became a running joke.  We'd just turn to one another
> sadly, and in commiseration proclaim, "Guido!".  (Perhaps
> a little like "Newman!" is said on Seinfeld.)
>
> [...]

I just wanted to apologize to everyone, and to Mr. van Rossum
for this ill-written email I wrote a year or so ago.  It's
been on my mind for some 470+ days now...

A couple days after writing that post, I re-read it and was
chagrinned at how derogatory and lacking in respect it seemed
to read.  This was not my intention.  No one would probably
have figured this from my email, but actually back then when
we were using Python (very happily, as an alternative to Java)
and we would say, "Guido!" when a feature of the language
didn't jive with our expectations or preferences it was in a
profoundly lighthearted way in comparison to what my email
probably sounded like.

I do truly believe that if Guido van Rossum had been within
earshot of us back then, the lightheartedness of our commentary
would have been palpable enough that all would have shared a
laugh.

So again, I apologize for the sour tone of my prior email.
It was misleading, incorrect, and something I'll try not to
repeat.

Thanks -

Regards,

Bill