Gentle Ruby folk:

I'm hoping to launch a new series of books from The Pragmatic
Bookshelf. "Facets of Ruby" will a a set of small, focussed, and
technical books about different aspects of Ruby. And I'm looking for
folks to write them!

I have no fixed ideas on the titles, but to give you an idea of the
kinds of things I'm looking for, you might well see books come out
named something like:

   * Writing Ruby Extensions
   * Using Ruby in the Semantic Web
   * Creating E-Commerce Sites using Rails
   * Rapid Application Development with Iowa
   * Migrating from Java to Ruby

The intent is to create a series of books with a deeply practical
focus. We won't just document APIs. Instead, we want to show how to get
_value_ from those APIs---how to solve real-world problems. The books
will probably be 100-250 pages long, and full of code.

To do this, I'm hoping to attract the best and the brightest--the folks
who know. Which is why I'm posting the message to this list.

If you've always fancied writing a book on some aspect of Ruby, now's
your chance.  When you work with us, you'll get to use a tool chain
that's the envy of the publishing industry in an extremely agile
production environment. We'll sell the books (in paper and PDF form)
off our web site, and the world-class O'Reilly team will distribute the
physical books to books stores and online retailers world-wide. Our
royalty scheme is simple, transparent, and generous.

You won't get rich--that's pretty much impossible in the technical book
market. But we'll have fun, and hopefully build a world-class resource
for the growing Ruby community.

If you're interested, send me an e-mail at
'mailto:facets-of-ruby / pragprog.com' containing a single paragraph
summary of the book you want to write. If we want to take a particular
project further, we'll then ask for an outline and a short extract from
the book. If everything works out, we'll then go on to write a book.

Just to get the ball rolling, I'm just starting to write the second
book in the series (if you count PickAxe II as the first)---I'm working
on an introduction to Rails.

Cheers

Dave