On Wednesday 08 December 2004 07:42 am, Austin Ziegler wrote:
| On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:56:01 +0900, trans.  (T. Onoma)
|
| <transami / runbox.com> wrote:
| > On Wednesday 08 December 2004 12:00 am, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
| > | I feel it might be difficult.  Define the following:
| > |   "abc\n".split("\n").join("\n")
| >
| > "abc\n".split("\n",-1).join("\n")
| > => "abc\n"
| >
| > Make default behavior -1.
|
| No. Most of the time, I don't actually *want* all the extra crap when
| I split. This change would break a lot of code silently.

Really? In all my code I either had to put the -1 in b/c I was getting
unexpected results (wasting many hours, btw!); or it didn't really matter
either way --empty strings usually end up in no-effect results.

Might it break code? Sure. But a lot? I doubt it. In fact I suspect some of
those same programs might have edge cases that would break them for the lack
of the -1.

T.