    JimM> I interpret a SAX parser as one that does not build an
    JimM> object tree, but instead notifies the calling program when
    JimM> each element of the XML is seen.

I always figured a SAX parser was one that followed the SAX API spec.
Since SAX is written assuming a Java implementation, deciding what is
SAX compliant in a different language is open to some interpretation.

The NQXML parser is definitely event based, but is different enough
from the style of the original Java SAX that I would hesitate to apply
the SAX label to it.

But then, being SAX compliant is only important if you want to be able
to switch between two or more SAX implementations.  There is nothing
wrong with NQXML being a non-SAX event driven parser.  In fact, I
don't believe its possible to build a DOM parser on top of a pure SAX
parser (e.g. SAX doesn't deliver comments, so it is impossible to
include comment nodes in a DOM document built with a pure SAX parser).

If SAX compatibility is important, it should be easy to add a SAX
adapter to NQXML in the future.

In the mean time, Bravo to Jim Menard for providing NQXML in such a
timely fashion.