On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Jim Menard wrote:

> A question for the group: are my frequent releases and announcements useful
> or annoying? I want to release early and often, but I don't want to make
> enemies.

I really think announcements should be kept around but not here. Before we
have comp.lang.ruby.announcement I suggest the initial announcements could
be published here. Also some very important releases should be announced
(ruby is obvious, but I think many other software could be counted in).

OTOH, coming in the discussion with lines like "while preparing FooBar
release 0.0.1 I found the following..." is perfectly acceptable.

My major concern is the traffic of the channel. If the current RAA module
owners would advertise their achievements or RAA updates would be
automatically forwarded here we would be enjoying around 2 mails for a
day, repeating mostly the same old story. No biggie. But I surely hope the
generated flood will fill all the harddisks in couple of years ;).

There are other workarounds beside c.l.r.a. If the code is interesting
enough it will gather natural group of people around it. It's be up to
the project to set up the mailing list for it. Or we could setup a
separate announcement mailing list. Many good Japanese snippets are lost
in Western world due to the fact they simply aren't seen here.

Nevertheless, these are just my views after spending an hour trying to
catch up the list again. And in case someone doubts my sincerity, I guess
I'll subscribe NQXML info in any form it will take in the future :).

	- Aleksi