On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:56:31 +0900, Michael DeHaan
<michael.dehaan / gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the sidethreads on the Slashdot article discuss Ruby having
> problems with Unicode and dealing with individual characters (only
> having String#each_byte). I assume the regexes and such still work
> with Unicode data, it's just that data inside of Strings are just
> treated as raw byte arrays?

Ruby's Strings are encoding agnostic. For dealing with encoded
strings, there's IConv (on Unix; it's not on Windows, yet).

> If so, this doesn't seem like a *huge* problem. Much of the Linux
> world deals in UTF-8 encodings because their buffer code doesn't
> have to even *know* about the existance of other languages then.

Well, basically.

> I guess what I'm getting at is I may end up having a few work
> programs here and there, and if I do one in Ruby (which up until
> now is not really possible due to the lack of a Windows-to-exe
> tool like Perl's PAR), I'd like to know that it can be localized
> to EFIGS+J if needed.

Ruwiki has EGS translations.

Exerb has existed for quite a while, so .EXE tools have existed
longer than most people think.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com