On 04 Dec 2004, at 08:02, Lionel Thiry wrote:

>> No, system does not block other ruby threads.
> Thanks for the remark... I was a bit confused about my interpretation
> of the answer, and I could not test system("sleep 10000") on my
> windows2k to see how it works.

Maybe only on (some) windows builds it blocks?  I no longer have a
windows machine handy to test these things on.

>> $ cat x.rb
>> STDOUT.sync = true
> I didn't know that stuff!
> It's interesting, where is that documented?

ri has it:

$ ri IO#sync
---------------------------------------------------------------- IO#sync
      ios.sync    => true or false
      Returns the current ``sync mode'' of _ios_. When sync mode is true,
      all output is immediately flushed to the underlying operating
      system and is not buffered by Ruby internally. See also +IO#fsync+.

         f = File.new("testfile")
         f.sync   #=> false
$ ri IO#sync=
      ios.sync = boolean   => boolean
      Sets the ``sync mode'' to +true+ or +false+. When sync mode is
      true, all output is immediately flushed to the underlying operating
      system and is not buffered internally. Returns the new state. See
      also +IO#fsync+.

         f = File.new("testfile")
         f.sync = true

      _(produces no output)_