Hi --

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Brian [ISO-8859-15] Schr?der wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:32:39 +0900
> "Joe Van Dyk" <joe.vandyk / boeing.com> wrote:
>
> > I come from a heavy C++ background, discovered Ruby a few months ago and
> > love it.
> >
> > I've found that using blocks is a very natural thing.  However, I have not
> > once used 'yield'.  I'm sure that there are events when using yield would be
> > helpful, but I have no clue when it would be appropriate to use.
> >
> > Thoughts?  When do you use the 'yield' statement in code?
> >
> > Joe
>
> Yield is just a shortcut for block.call.
>
> If I am Lazy, and I don't need to pass the block further I use yield. But I
> believe that normally using block.call is more explicit and therefore
> preferable.

'yield' is equally explicit, and equally unambiguous.  It tells you
exactly as much as block.call does.  I wouldn't worry about the
laziness part of it; if you measure laziness by power per word of
code, all Ruby programmers are already massively lazy :-)

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net