    GK> In message "[ruby-talk:12204] FEATURE REQUEST: 'my' local variables"
    GK>     on 01/03/07, Leo Razoumov <see_signature / 127.0.0.1> writes:
    >> # PROPOSED FEATURE:
    >> x = 0  #line_1
    >> {
    >> my x = 7  # new varible 'x' shadowing 'x' from line_1
    >> x  # -> 7
    >> }
    >> x    # -> 0
    >>

    >> I guess it should not be hard to add this functionality to the language.
    >> Any thoughts?

    GK> "my" seems too complex for user.

I do not understand why "my" is too complex to a user. It has been in Perl for
years and no one complained of its complexity. Similar semantics exists in
Scheme and Lisp (let (...)) and has been in use for decades .
If you do not like token "my" it can be any other name like "local", etc.
Bottom line, Ruby does not have a mechanism to push an arbitrary
local variable onto its local scope. And this is bad!

-- Leo [slonika AT yahoo DOT com]