Michael DeHaan wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 06:03:37 +0900, Abraham Vionas
> <abe_ml / bozemantechmedic.com> wrote:
>> Whoops, sorry, I forgot to mention that a lot of the reason I'm
>> investigating Linux is because being on Windows has been such a
>> complicating factor in my drive to learn and use Ruby. I just thought I'd
>> pose my question to the community at large. Sorry I forgot to tag it with
>> the Off Topic.
>>
>> Regards, Abe

> * SSH from your Windows or Mac laptop into a non-laptop Linux box.
> This works for anything non-GUI oriented, which is most of what I do
> (especially when dealing with rails, you don't care).
> * Just develop natively on a Powerbook or iBook.   I'm doing things
> with rb-opengl right now, and it works great.  Most everything is
> there, but bindings to certain GUI toolkits may take some effort.
> * X-Forward from your Linux box to a Powerbook or Windows machine
> using an X-Windows emulator.
> * VNC
>
> --Michael

Try posting to comp.os.linux.hardware or comp.os.linux.misc.  There's been
some discussion on the topic there lately.  Also, try searching the newsgroup
archives groups.google.com.

If it's any help, the situation right now is that a few chipsets are supported
by native Linux drivers, while the rest are left to try using their windows
driver through a compatibility layer called ndiswrapper.  A quick search on
google returns some results that may be helpful

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=wireless
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=wireless+howto

In any case, although there probably isn't a program that will let you
point-and-click your way through the problem, you should be able to get your
card working.  You won't be the first Linux user on a wireless LAN!

Luca