Hans Fugal wrote:

> They're right, it's off-topic. But there's likely a local linux user's
> group in your area that would be more than happy to help you out. If
> configuring your wireless card is the only issue, then you're almost
> there and I wouldn't give up quite yet.

I had a Lucent/Orinoco WiFi card running under RH 7.x a few years ago.
Amazingly easy; I believe the chip set in the Wavelan (?) cards is well
understood.  So easy I couldn't tell you how I did it, other than follow
some bundled README.

But for general PC wifi, folk have advised me to go get a WiFi bridge.
Linux just sees a network card, so no driver/lib madness.

Otherwise, you have to know that a given card uses a particular chip,
and as far as I can tell not even all cards from the same vendor are
consistent that way.

The downside is cost.  Bridges are more expensive than mere cards.

Good luck.  I think Linux Journal or Linux Magazine recently did an
issue on WiFi, so they may have stuff on-line.

James